Sunday, December 27, 2009

Precious gifts


I've been reminiscing about some of the best gifts I've ever received. I remember gifts of gold and precious stones, gifts large and small, thoughtful and baffling, touching and hilarious, beautiful and hideous. (Actually, the only one I think of as 'hideous' is a set of putrid pink drinking glasses from a guest at my wedding - a woman who had not been invited! Note to wedding crashers: at least bring an attractive gift. :D )

These are some of my favorite gifts of all time:

My first ever visit to Barnes & Noble. (You knew the first would have something to do with books, didn't you?) The cousin with whom I was staying in Miami in 2000, probably sick of hearing me mention how much I was looking forward to visiting that particular bookstore, dropped me off at the nearest one early a Saturday afternoon, slipped $50 into my hand and said he'd be back to pick me up in four hours.

A drawing of a swan, all curving lines and big eyes, that I carry in my wallet at all times. The artist is my son, who was four when he drew it.

— The news that the lump in my sister's breast was not cancer.

— A hike to a waterfall with my son two Mother's Days ago.

— A sweet letter from my favorite ex one Christmas after a horrible breakup saying, among other things, that I had a good soul.

Hm. Just noticed most of my favorite gifts cost little or nothing. What are some of your most precious gifts?


4 comments:

Phyllis Bourne said...

The day after the last presidential election my then 86-y-o dad was rushed to the hospital after "passing out" at work. Turned out he didn't pass out, he fell asleep cause he stayed up all night watching Obama coverage.

He tried telling everyone he'd just fallen asleep, but nobody believes old people - even if they do run four miles a day.

Finding out it wasn't a heart attack, but an Obama attack was the best gift ever.

Alexis J. said...

When I was young, my mom brought home a puppy - we thought she was holding groceries because she had him in a brown paper bag. Sooo cute! Also, my kids made coupons I could exchange for them to water the plants, wash clothes, etc. They're grown and I still have the coupons. Dang, I guess that means I never tried to cash them in.

Nice memories - thx!

:-)

Liane Spicer said...

Phyllis, that's a great gift indeed!

Poignant observation there about the attitude to old people. I resent it on behalf of my mother who is a fabulously healthy, active, involved woman of 74. I've been telling her for years that she'll outlive many of the young people who dismiss older folk as irrelevant, and we're seeing it happening all the time. There's even a local expression for the phenomenon: 'The green [young, immature] limes falling off the tree.'

You go, Phyllis' dad!

Liane Spicer said...

Marissa, puppies are the best gifts! And I remember trying to smuggle one of my grandfather's kittens home in a brown bag. Sadly, my mother caught me out before we even left his house. :)

Your kids' coupons are the best! I'd have kept them, too!