Sunday, September 26, 2010

Life constantly changes

Five months ago I changed jobs. With the present economy, it surprised me that I found a better position. After six years working as an adult reference librarian, I took a position as a library director. Honestly, I never thought I would be in charge of a building, employees, and a budget. The idea of moving into this position scared me senseless. Yet, it was the next logical step in my professional career.

I went into the job with a cautious attitude. I didn't want to disturb the previous director's systems until I understood the inner workings of the library. The first month was frightening. My confidence grew as I made the job mine and made decisions that help strengthen the image of the library within the community. After five months, I won't say I'm a pro, but I have established myself as the director among the people that work for me, and learned how to handle the operations of the building, budget, employees, and patrons.

Now if you are wondering what this has to do with writing, it's this. I have a new book that will be released October 1st. There's always a lot of exciting and a little bit of fear when I have a new release. Will readers like it? Did I do everything I could to make this a good novel? Will I be able to get another contract once this novel is released? If it bombs where will I go next?

There's so much to consider and much more that is out of my hands. All a writer can do is his or her best.

This is where you get into the act. Tell me, is there something that you are doing that different? Difficult? Not your normal? Something that you are worried about the outcome? Shoot me an email at karenwowens@gmail.com or click on the link below. I'd love to hear from you.

Remember, don't be a stranger.

Karen

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Right at the moment, just living seems difficult enough.

Karen Owens said...

Charles,

I understand completely. Sometimes it a chore to get through one day.

Liane Spicer said...

What Charles said. Add to that my anxieties about whether I'll ever sell the books I've already written, not to mention the one I'm currently working on, and there you have it. C'est la vie.