Saturday, September 18, 2010

Personal Marching Orders

Although I’ve done it before, I sometimes find the task of writing a 300-page manuscript totally overwhelming.

I walk into my office and have to fight the urge to run right back out the door (and to the kitchen for the crunchy comfort of Cheez-it’s).

So I keep, what I like to call, my personal marching orders framed and at eye level. Like a silent general, they tell me exactly what to do next.




How do you fight the feeling of being overwhelmed by your novel?

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

There you have it. Exactly.

Liane Spicer said...

Phyllis, your muse must be so proud of you!

I've been taking that road of late myself. Just start. One word. A sentence. Before I know it I've written 1,000 - 2,000 words. I might even keep some of them. :)

Jewel Amethyst said...

great inspiration. Something I can use right now.

Shauna Roberts said...

Great sign. Takes all the mystery and fear out of the process.

Phyllis Bourne said...

I rely a lot on that sign. It takes something I make very hard - easy.