Saturday, November 13, 2010

Holiday Fiction




It's that time of year when the turkey is carved, Jolly old St. Nick comes calling, the multicolored lights go up, the snow comes down (in some places), and the resolutions are made as a new year approaches and we start life all over again.

As a novelist, I love writing yearend holiday fiction, reflecting all that is wonderful about the season of gifts and giving, decorations, music, movie classics, and gathering around loved ones in the spirit of the holiday.

I have been fortunate enough to have two holiday novels come out in recent years, CHRISTMAS HEAT and CHRISTMAS DIAMONDS, and enjoyed delving into these imaginary worlds and putting in them a slice on the joy I have always had during November and December. My fans have demonstrated their appreciation through sales and kind reviews.

It is my way of giving back to those who have blessed me over the years during the holidays and allowing me the opportunity to spread good cheer and tidings through my writings. A year from now, I will be back at it again with a holiday novel, PRIVATE LUAU, that will transport readers to Honolulu for the holiday season. I cannot think of a better place to spend Christmas and break in the New Year than Hawaii, where only imaginary snow will fall.

I am also an avid reader of holiday fiction and soaking in perspectives of the season from other authors. Some of my favorite titles are A CHRISTMAS CAROL by Charles Dickens, THE CHRISTMAS BOX by Richard Paul Evans, and A CHRISTMAS VISITOR by Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Spencer,.

I also love to curl up on the couch with my wife at this time of year and watch some holiday fiction DVD classics from the silver screen, such as IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, SCROOGE, CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT, and MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET, to name a few.

Have you written any holiday fiction? If so, what inspires you to do so?

What are your favorite holiday novels or nonfiction by other authors?

What are your all time favorite holiday movies?

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I wrote a holiday story when I was a teenager, about an angel visiting a home at Christmas. I wrote it for my mom and she liked it. I wrote it in part because she'd found something else I wrote and thought it was awful and sinful so I wrote this to show her I could write other things too.

Liane Spicer said...

LOL at Charles' motivation!

I haven't written any Christmas stories and don't plan to. Call me Scrooge if you like. Other people do.

Shauna Roberts said...

Devon, I love the picture on your post. New rose leaves, right?

I wrote my first Christmas story this year, spurred by an online pub looking for Christmas-themed stories for its December issue. I also wrote a poem about the baby Jesus maybe 30 years ago. It was about how depressing it must be to be baby Jesus. That probably says more about me than about baby Jesus. [g]