Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Holiday Deadlines - Help!!!!!

No, I don't quite look or feel like this woman, yet! They say, "never let 'em see you sweat." Not sweating, but busy as hell!

I always seem to have a deadline in December or January and each time, my plan is to complete the manuscript at least 30 days before the due date. However, I find myself writing during and after the holidays, carving out time to promote, attend events, keep up with other titles and opportunities, market, ship, self-publish, keep up with groups, handle other projects, etc., and remember to put up the tree and wrap gifts. Oh yeah, make time to buy the gifts. There never seems to be enough time during any month, but even more so in December. Plan, organize, schedule, discipline, time-management - blah, blah blah!

This month, the 20th rolled around entirely too fast, and here I am posting when I know I should have scheduled my post in advance. I do see that other authors have done that. Why didn't I?

I'm writing on this topic because an author friend reminded me, we'll get it done in due time, we'll make a way, it'll work out, cut out what you need to so you don't over-promise, and do what you can. Make adjustments as necessary and be glad for the opportunities. I know that deadlines are a good thing - it means we've put ourselves out there and are brave enough to engage in taking a shot at delivering. In the big scheme of things, that is what the allure of living out passions is all about - being able to create and deliver. Thank you, my dear author friend. This all comes along with living my dream.

To those who like me, feel their plate is too full - sometimes we've got to trim the fat and take a deep breath. It's all good and it's okay! You're not alone. But bottom line, make time for family, and the reason for the season. That is what matters most. The rest, will get done in due time. Maybe just not in the time it was due!! And in order to keep our sanity, sometimes you've got to readjust. Live up to your commitments, but don't wreck your brain and your holidays doing it!

Happy Holidays!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah nuts, you're probably right. I was looking forward to neglecting the kids for a few days so that I could get some writing done, but I guess that's not the best idea. The problem is - it's really hard to squeeze the writing in. Seems like every time something has to go, that's what has to go. Time for egg nog.

William Doonan
www.williamdoonan.com

Jewel Amethyst said...

I agree with Williamdoonan. When it comes down to the wire it seems that the writing is always the disposable element. I preface it with the "I can always make it up later" deception. I know I'm fooling myself.

Liane Spicer said...

Ah, time management, my favourite. :D I tell myself I'm getting better but it's probably self-deception. Between the day job, school, household and family obligations, the writing is the things that gets sifted to the bottom of the priority list.

At least there's a new year in the offing so I can start afresh with my resolution to prioritise writing time. :-/