Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Story Inside

In my last post I wrote a little about readjusting to the fast paced life in the USA, but today, I am sitting on my back porch and enjoying (while it is still warm) a different side of my life here. Our house backs on to a forest which makes a lovely setting for my tea breaks. As you can see in the photo on the left, I often have company while I sit. It takes a bit of work to feel serene out here as we live near a major road and a school which, I am told, has an excellent band programme. As I sink into my time outside (the kids know not to disturb unless there is a blazing fire or gushing blood), I imagine that the sound of the passing cars is really the ocean rushing to the shore and the band practice, well, I just try to tune them out. (No pun intended).
I focus on the fantasy world that I know lives in the forest. You see, sometimes inspiration just comes you and sometimes you have to go looking for it. For example, there is a hole in a tree in 'my' forest. I know it's not a natural hole, an accident of nature; it must be an entrance way, a port hole into another world or another dimension of this world. The only question is are we meant to look in or are 'they' looking out at us?

What do you think?

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I've written several flash fiction stories while sitting on my deck looking into the woods. One of the favorite pieces of my own writing came about in just that way.

Liane Spicer said...

Oh... deer!

Lots of food for inspiration here, Carol. I've become adept at tuning out unwanted noises. Some day you'll find the band practice and highway sounds don't even register anymore.